Sunday, December 13, 2009

November 29, 2009: Thinking of Others

I have a friend that I work with who is fighting a major battle with throat cancer right now. And every day I think of his strength, his good spirits and ::soft chuckle:: his self-proclaimed theme song "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba.

I have another friend - from high school - that I recently learned went through her own battle with breast cancer while her sister fights every day a battle with colon cancer.

All these people - and so many more fighting every day. I kept reflecting and the more I thought the more I wanted to do something to celebrate them and their families and possibly help in some little way.

I created this piece - a medalion of .999 Fine Silver with lapsis blue-colored polymer clay. It's hanging on an 18" sterling silver 2mm beaded chain with a magnetic clasp for easy closure. The design represents the The Fifth Chakra - Throat Healing.

I don't know how to express the feeling behind this piece. Depending on what you believe it could be a form of grasping at straws thinking that the dark lapsis blue color combined with the natural silver, the Fifth Chakra symbol, wearing it around the neck and the good thoughts, love and concern that were always present before - during the design and creation of the piece - and will continue after the gift is given, will - in some way - help to 'clear' the illness from his life.

Learn more about the Fifth Chakra.

For my friend from high school I made a necklace for her mom. The 18" sterling silver chain holds two "Awareness Ribbons" that I designed. The .999 fine silver ribbons are filled with polymer clay - one pink for breast cancer and one blue for colon cancer. The ribbons measure approx 1.25" long. I'm excited to post that I have received a request to make 2 more sets - one for her and her sister. A little part of me feels that I'm helping knowing that my pieces are going to help them bring awareness to the diseases that so need to be cured.

Notes: I used new techniques to create the molds for these pieces. Photo Polymer Plates. It's a way to take something you create on you computer and then print onto overlay material and then transfer to the Photo Polymer Plate using UV light. It's a great technique that I love along with making pieces from polymer clay and then molding them in 2-part molding compound.

No comments:

Post a Comment