Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th... 9/11...
A day we will remember for the rest of our lives

I was preparing to blog this week and I am opting to post something I posted on my facebook page(s) instead of talking about the bracelet, kitties and studio. I hope you stay with me for those posts later this week, but for now...
Where were you on September 11, 2001?

One of my friends asked on her page where we were on 9/11? It's one of those moments in history that everyone who was alive that day remembers where they were. I wrote and wrote... this is what I remember...


(Photo of statue located in
Memphis Botanic Garden that I
felt was appropriate for this post)
"I was on my way to work ... running a tad late, I was listening to the radio and suddenly the DJs said "something hit the World Trade Center in New York City"... I had just entered the parking lot at Dunkin Donuts and paused thinking... huh? so I ran in and got a cup of coffee (how strange that I even remember and can SMELL it as I write this - large hazelnut, cream & sugar) got back in the car and hitailed it to the office (about 3-5 mins away). I ran into the Demo Room where we had a TV for training and a cable connection... we were doing demo work in the office and everything was piled into the Demo room... I was trying to move the stupid shelves that were in the way of plugging in the tv when our NY sales rep ran in to do the same thing (he had been on the phone w/ a dealer and had heard something was going on)... we wordlessly moved it and got the TV plugged in... shortly after we watched the second plane go in.

It was terrifying. My Sister and Dad were military - I worked for a security company that had BADGED the World Trade Center after the bombing a few years before. WHAT WAS GOING ON?

While many businesses sent their employees home, our company opted to keep us at the office with the tv on. We were allowed to watch or not watch. We were not allowed to be alone. They did not want anyone going home to sit and watch the tv showing it over and over alone. We had co-worker with a brother in the tower. We had coworkers that worked with security in the building. We watched the towers fall w/ tears running down our faces filled with disbelief and horror. WHO DID THIS? Plane into the Pentagon. Plane down in a field. WHO?

I remember the silence... My apartment was in the flight line for Hanscom AFB... and not far from Logan airport in Boston. The silence outside was deafening. I was on the deck two nights later looking at the stars and talking to my dad... telling him how quiet it was and suddenly we could hear a plane coming. Honestly... I started to freak. Planes were not flying... yet I was hearing a plane... Dad could hear it and told me it was a military plane. The only planes we heard were military. it was comforting and alarming at the same time.

I drove to Maine three days after 9/11 - I had a meeting with a developer in New Brunswick Canada that weekend. I was going to Bar Harbor, ME to camp and then drive to Canada for the meeting. I needed to go to the meeting. The roads were empty. The skies were empty. Suddenly driving up 95 in Maine headed toward Bangor, I saw a HUGE transport plane flying (it seemed to be incredibly low) over head. It was huge. And it was the only thing. I remember the flags. I have never seen so many USA flags in my life. Everywhere there were flags, tears, and silence.

Crossing into Canada that weekend I expected to be searched... I took everything (EVERYTHING) out of the car with the exception of my notebook, purse, my jack and flash light incase I broke down. I was after all camping... stove fuel, camping stuff would (in my mind) cause concern. I wanted to cause no one any undue issues. Crossing into Canada was easy.. and again - THE FLAGS... for every Canadian flag waving (and there were SOO MANY) there were 5 USA flags. Our sisters and brothers to the North felt our pain and fear. It was again - INCREDIBLE.

This morning, September 11, 2012 - I opened my windows and back door to let some air in. It's a beautiful day in the Mid-South as it was a beautiful day 11 years ago. Suddenly I heard a plane over head - not unheard of for me, I'm on one of the flight lines for Memphis International Airport some days... but I paused. I heard that plane, this morning, 11 years later and I paused. I had to think because I was so surprised to hear it. This morning, of all mornings. It's still with me. It's still with my family and it's still with everyone.

Thank you to all who gave and those who gave all to care for US that day and every day."

My sister read this and posted on my facebook status:
"
Sis the Military plane your heard over head was what we say in the Military "THE SOUND OF FREEDOM"..."

May we always hear the sound of freedom, may we always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment