Sunday, December 20, 2009

December 20, 2009
Copper!

In between creating Christmas presents I've been playing with copper since it arrived on 12/04. First attempt (as noted earlier in this blog) was not very successful BUT repeated tries have been a lot better.


I tried to do double sided texture on these earings and the only way I could think to do it was to texture two pieces and then put them together. It worked but to a point. One of the textures I used (lace) was a bit deep and caused the piece to break along the lace lines in 2 places. Luckily I was able to stick them back together.

I did a simple rectangle, cut it in half diagonally and then trimmed a section of the widest part of the triangles off to make the earring two pieces. Once they were dried I torch fired them. I added a little patina to the lace side to bring out the texture.

I used copper wire to make jump rings and 'stitched' the pieces together with the jump rings and then added a 12 mm Leopard Skin Bead and copper ear wire.

Not my usual style - but I'm excited to wear them out! :o)

UPDATED: December 21 - While in Michael's I found "rose gold" earring wires. With my sensitivity to copper I'm excited to put them on my copper earrings. I think the pinky color will bring out the pinky of the copper and should be very helpful in further projects! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment